Monday 14 February 2011

A GOOD WEEK FOR CINEMA

I haven’t felt this positive about writing my blog in a long time. I feel really inspired by the films I’ve watched this week because they’ve made me happy in different ways.

Faye

THE FIGHTER (15)

Director: David O Russell
Verdict: I didn’t rush to see this film when it came out because I didn’t think I would enjoy it. I couldn’t have been more wrong. Although I didn’t get excited over the subject matter, boxing, overall I thought the film was brilliant. I felt like this was one of Christian Bale’s best performances and I cannot believe he didn’t win the Bafta for supporting role. To be honest, I even felt he deserved the best leading role. I felt he captured the character amazingly and I truly went through the emotions with his character. I didn’t think Mark Wahlberg was particularly captivating but he did alright! I definitely believe Melissa Leo, who played their mother, deserves her Oscar nomination as I thought she was remarkable in her part. I feel like this movie may have been over shadowed by ‘The King’s Speech’ as I believe it’s far better. I loved the film overall, as it created parallels throughout and I loved the way it was directed.


JUST GO WITH IT (12A)

Director: Dennis Dugan
Verdict: I thought this film looked really funny from the trailer so I was really looking forward to going to see it. I was slightly worried that they had shown all the funny bits in the trailer though. However, they definitely didn’t do that. I don’t know if I was just in a giggly mood but I thought this film was hilarious! Adam Sandler didn’t annoy me as much as he usually does and I thought he had a good chemistry with Jennifer Aniston. I thought the children characters were brilliant and created a lot of laughs and I think for what it is; this film deserves the stars I’ve given it. A true comedy for both the guys and girls.

TRUE GRIT (15)

Director: Joel Coen, Ethan Coen
Verdict: This film really confused me because I was expecting a lot of shooting and some scary parts, but don’t ask me why I thought this. Although there were some shooting scenes, I thought this film was quite soft for the Coen brothers but I understand it is a remake and originally a book. However, I felt the three main actors, Jeff Bridges, Matt Damon and Hailee Steinfeld were really impressive in this film. I truly believe Steinfeld deserves not only her Oscar nomination but a win. I cannot believe she is only fourteen and this is her first major role, she is amazing! I nearly gave this film a lower rating than I have because I really didn’t like the ending as I believe it should have ended differently and I felt like the film suddenly ended. However, I have reminded myself that this is an adaption from a novel. Overall I did like this film and I believe it really uplifted me in some parts.

No comments:

Post a Comment