Wednesday 7 September 2011

SLACKER

I have been slacking with my blog a lot lately and I have four reviews to write. I feel like I haven't stopped recently but I probably have, but not long enough for me to sit down and write this in a relaxed fashion. I've had some positive trips to the cinema this month so my ratings are pretty high. Enjoy!

THE INBETWEENERS MOVIE (15)

Director: Ben Palmer
Verdict: As it was my 'Pick of the Week' in my last post it was clear that I was looking forward to it. I love the Inbetweeners tv series as I have the boxset and watch it over and over. This movie was no disappointment in my opinion and I have seen it three times now! For anybody that has been living under a rock, the film sees the four lads going on a 'mental' holiday to Malia where they get drunk, meet girls, get thrown out of hotels and end up learning a lot. There are a few brilliant moments in the film where I couldn't stop laughing and they will still make me laugh after three times! The first time I went to see this I couldn't believe how many people were there to see it, I've never seen it so busy. Even though we got there hours early, we had to see the last showing of the night and queue half hour before to get a good seat. Even the second time I went the queues were ridiculous and it still seemed busy the third time.


Since seeing it I have looked up some figures and it's crazy, the film's estimated budget was around £3,500,000, the opening weekend recieved around £13,000,000 and the gross so far is now around £30,000,000. This makes the film the biggest opening for a UK comedy of all time. It has been rumoured that they are already planning a sequel due to the success of this film but apparently that is completely rubbish so my hopes were crushed. I still believe there is a good chance there will be some kind of follow up, whether it be a film or more tv episodes as it would be such a shame to end such a brilliant franchise where we get to see such real and genuine characters.

ONE DAY (12A)

Director: Lone Scherfig
Verdict: I had read the novel which has famously been adapted for this film. I really loved the book and I would totally recommend reading it as it's such a refreshing romance. I was pretty apprehensive about how the film would work but I was reassured by the fact the author, David Nicholls wrote the screenplay and the film looked quite true to the book from the trailer. The story follows best friends Dex (Jim Sturgess) and Emma (Anne Hathaway) over twenty years and the chapters are always set on the same date every year. The plot twists and turns as the friends argue and then reunite.


I went to see this with my girlfriends as we all wanted to see it and it helps to squeal along with other girls! I decided when I went to the cinema that I would forget that I had read the book because films never live up to the novels and I am glad I did because, although some moments are replicated well, they have missed some lovely elements and moments out. Film critics had slated Anne Hathaway's Yorkshire accent which made me slightly worried but I don't think it matters too much. Yes, there were times when me and my friends were laughing because it was pretty bad but it doesn't ruin the film in my eyes. I love the book and I now love the film, I think it's already a classic and I can't wait to see it again. I think it was sensitively adapted and they did a pretty good job. Although her accent falls short, Hathaway took on the role of Emma really well and Sturgess managed to manipulate the audience with Dex's ups and downs with his heart wrenching acting. I would highly recommend the film, especially if you are a hopeless romantic but don't forget the tissues!

COWBOYS & ALIENS (12A)

Directors: Jon Favreau
Verdict: This was more my boyfriend's choice as I'm not a huge fan of alien films as I have previously written. The film is basically a series of fights between aliens and cowboys... It started off well with some great cinematography and an effective soundtrack but it just began to roll down hill. The actors were pretty good, such as Harrison Ford, a little boy called Noah Ringer and surprisingly Daniel Craig. I say 'surprisingly' because I'm never sure how well Craig can act but he took on the sultry, attractive cowboy who doesn't know his own identity pretty well.


There were a lot of flaws and unanswered questions in the movie, a few in particular which I can't really repeat as I would be spoiling the film. If this film was cowboys without the aliens then I think it would have been a really good film, but no they had to be different. I was pretty disappointed to be honest.

FRIENDS WITH BENEFITS (15)

Director: Will Gluck
Verdict: I wanted to see this film because I love Justin Timberlake and I thought the film looked really funny. The story follows Dylan (Timberlake) who owns a succesful blog but gets head hunted by Jamie (Mila Kunis) for another job writing for GQ in New York. He goes to 'check out' the job, ends up taking the job and becomes friends with Jamie (obviously). The film title is pretty self explanatory for the development of the movie!


At first I wasn't too keen on the film and I wasn't laughing much but I warmed up to the characters and the situation and began to laugh. The characters are blunt and witty which takes some getting used to. I'm not entirely sure how realistic it is, well it isn't, but is any film? I ended up coming out the cinema with a smile on my face as I ended up really enjoying it and I would recommend to both girls (for Justin and the soppy bits) and for guys (for a rather naked Mila)!

2 comments: